Sending for Peter
The next day as Cornelius’s messengers were nearing the town, Peter went up on the flat roof to pray. It was about noon, and he was hungry. But while a meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. He saw the sky open, and something like a large sheet was let down by its four corners. In the sheet were all sorts of animals, reptiles, and birds. Then a voice said to him, “Get up, Peter; kill and eat them.” “No, Lord,” Peter declared. “I have never eaten anything that our Jewish laws have declared impure and unclean. ” But the voice spoke again: “Do not call something unclean if God has made it clean.” The same vision was repeated three times. Then the sheet was suddenly pulled up to heaven. Peter was very perplexed. What could the vision mean? Just then the men sent by Cornelius found Simon’s house. Standing outside the gate, they asked if a man named Simon Peter was staying there. Meanwhile, as Peter was puzzling over the vision, the Holy Spirit said to him, “Three men have come looking for you. Get up, go downstairs, and go with them without hesitation. Don’t worry, for I have sent them.” So Peter went down and said, “I’m the man you are looking for. Why have you come?” They said, “We were sent by Cornelius, a Roman officer. He is a devout and God-fearing man, well respected by all the Jews. A holy angel instructed him to summon you to his house so that he can hear your message.” So Peter invited the men to stay for the night.Acts 10:9-23
Peter’s Arrival and Cornelius’ Explanation
The next day he went with them, accompanied by some of the brothers from Joppa. They arrived in Caesarea the following day. Cornelius was waiting for them and had called together his relatives and close friends.Acts 10:23-24
Some of the follow up questions you sent in as readers related to this passage:
- How is it that Cornelius was a devout, God-fearing man (as was everyone in his household?
- I mean, how did they know God at the first place? I thought the Gentiles received the word of God after this event with Peter?
- Why did Peter go on to the roof to pray? Is there significance in that?
- Why would he go up to the roof? Wouldn’t that be difficult to do?
- Was it important that Peter prayed at noon?
- Is there any importance to the fact that Cornelius had a vision and Peter went into a trance?
- Why didn’t they both have the same experience, either a vision or a trance, but both the same?
- Then a few verses later it called what Peter had a vision, and he had it three times! That must be important, right?
- I feel there is something in the fact that the sky opened and the sheet came down. Is that important?
- What is the connection between the men who came and the unclean things that Peter had to eat? I don’t get it.
- Why was the sheet suddenly pulled up again?
- Yes indeed, what did the vision mean?
- When Peter said “No Lord” my mind went back to when Peter said “No, You will never ever wash my feet!” in John 13:8. Is that like a remez Ian?
- Just then . . . Wow I couldn’t help but think that this is important because in a Gems a few days you said about the timing of God being impeccable. This is one of those moments isn’t it?
- I read verse 10:23 and went all goosey. I thought that is very important that Peter should invite the Romans into his house. I can’t wait to hear what you have to say about that Ian.
Congratulations to those of you who sent in questions. Between you, you have nailed the important aspects of this section. Therefore I have gathered your questions together and have sent them out for everyone else to consider on over the weekend. There are some good meaty bites there. It shows me that Ribka and Mike have taken seriously the things I have said about the importance of connection. Well done.
I will leave you to think about these questions in the meantime.
The purpose of life is to discover your gift; the meaning of life is to give your gift away.David Viscott
A man’s greatest glory doesn’t consist in never falling, but in rising every time he falls.Anon
Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend.Martin Luther King
Real stability comes from gradual success and is far more lasting, I believe that God grooms us for greatness in the stockades of struggle.T D Jakes
Life is very short, so forgive quickly, believe slowly, love truly, laugh loudly and always remember to thank God for it all.Anon